Sao Paulo: Brazilian LDS Mission, 1953. 6 issues. 263pp. Octavo [22.5 cm] 3/4 blue sheep over blue marbled boards with gilt stamped red leather labels on the backstrip. Better than very good. Item #3803
Six monthly issues (January-June) for 1953 of the Brazillian Mission newsletter. Issues contain news from the Mission, comings and goings, comics and other miscellany. Illustrated throughout. Text in Portuguese.
The first missionaries in Brazil were William Fred Heinz and Emil A.J. Schindler, accompanied by President Rheinood Stoof of the South American Mission in Buenos Aires, Argentina. President Stoof first visited Brazil in 1927, and returned with the elders to begin missionary work among German-speaking people in September 1928. Bertha Sell and her children. Theodore, Alice, Seigfried, and Adell, were the first converts, baptized April 14, 1929. A branch was organized in Joinville on July 6, 1930 and the first Church-owned meetinghouse in South America was dedicated October 25, 1931, in Joinville. A mission was created and headquartered in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on May 25, 1935. Presumed uncommon.