Detroit: Detroit Photographic Company, 1899. Photochrome [23 cm x 17.5 cm] nicely matted and framed [41 cm x 35 cm] Image is bright and sharp. Item #2258
Bright view of two women (one seated/one standing) in front of a pueblo (Shongopovi?) with a pile of corn in the foreground.
Launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s, The Detroit Photographic Company, later the Detroit Publishing Company, obtained exclusive right for use of the Swiss “Photochrom” process. This process permitted the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. In 1897, landscape photographer, William Henry Jackson, joined the firm, adding Jackson’s thousands of negatives to the photographic inventory.